- PhD (2006): University of Cologne, Germany (Advisor: Prof. Albrecht Berkessel)
- MSc (2002): Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India (Thesis Advisor: Prof. Parimal K. Bharadwaj)
- BSc (2000): R. M. Mission Residential College, Narendrapur, India
- December 2015 to present: Associate Professor at the Department of Organic Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- April 2010 to December 2015: Assistant Professor at the Department of Organic Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- 2008 to 2010: Postdoctoral Fellow at Harvard University, Cambridge, USA (Advisor: Prof. E. J. Corey)
- 2006 to 2008: Postdoctoral Fellow at Max-Planck Institute fuer Kohlenforschung, Muelheim an der Ruhr, Germany (Advisor: Prof. Benjamin List)
Awards and Fellowships
- Chemical Research Society of India (CRSI) Bronze Medal (2019)
- Associate Editor, Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry (since 2019)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC) (2018)
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the Journal of Organic Chemistry (2018-2020)
- Dr. Basudev Banerjee Memorial Award for the year 2015 by Indian Chemical Society (2016)
- Dr. Srinivasan Rajagopalan Award by IISc Alumni Association (2015)
- Prof. Priti Shankar Teaching Award for Assistant Professors in Science for the year 2014 (2015)
- Alkyl Amines-Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT) Young Scientist Award (2014)
- INSA (Indian National Science Academy) Medal for Young Scientist (2014)
- NASI (National Academy of Sciences, India)-Young Scientist Platinum Jubilee Award (2013)
- Associate of the Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore (2012-2015)
- Thieme Chemistry Journals Award (2011)
Our primary research interests revolve around various aspects of enantioselective catalysis, with particular emphasis on the development of new catalytic enantioselective transformations. In this process, we are also interested in developing new catalysis concepts.
Some of our research highlights are shown below:
Catalytic Enantioselective Halocyclization Reactions:
Catalytic Enantioselective Vinylogous Michael Reactions:
Catalytic Enantioselective C–H Alkylation Reactions:
Small Molecule Elimination as a Novel Strategy for Unusual C–C Bond Formation:
Enantioselective Anion-Binding Catalysis:
Iridum-Catalyzed Enantioselective Allylic Alkylation:
- “Enantioselective [4+2]-Annulation of Azlactones with Copper-Allenylidenes under Cooperative Catalysis: Synthesis of α-Quaternary α-Acylaminoamides” Simlandy, B. Ghosh, S. Mukherjee, Org. Lett. 2019, 21, 3361-3366.
- “Iridium-Catalyzed Enantioselective Direct Vinylogous Allylic Alkylation of Coumarins” Sarkar, S. Mitra, S. Mukherjee, Chem. Sci. 2018, 9, 5767-5772.
- “Picosecond Electron Transfer from Quantum Dots Enables a General and Efficient Aerobic Oxidation of Boronic Acids” Simlandy, B. Bhattacharyya, A. Pandey, S. Mukherjee, ACS Catal. 2018, 8, 5206-5211.
- “Nitro-Enabled Catalytic Enantioselective Formal Umpolung Alkenylation of β-Ketoesters” Ray Choudhury, M. S. Manna, S. Mukherjee, Chem. Sci. 2017, 8, 6686-6690.
- “Enantioselective Dearomatization of Isoquinolines by Anion-Binding Catalysis en Route to Cyclic α‑Aminophosphonates” Ray Choudhury, S. Mukherjee, Chem. Sci. 2016, 7, 6940-6945.
- “Catalytic Enantioselective 1,4-Iodofunctionalizations of Conjugated Dienes” Tripathi, S. Mukherjee, Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 4424-4427.
- “Organocatalytic Enantioselective Formal C(sp2)-H Alkylation” S. Manna, S. Mukherjee, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2015, 137, 130-133.
- Remarkable Influence of Secondary Catalyst Site on Enantioselective Desymmetrization of Cyclopentenedione” S. Manna, S. Mukherjee, Chem. Sci. 2014, 5, 1627-1633.
- “Synergistic Lewis Base and Anion-Binding Catalysis for the Enantioselective Vinylogous Addition of Deconjugated Butenolides to Allenoates” V. Kumar, S. Mukherjee, Chem. Commun. 2013, 49, 11203-11205.
- “Catalytic Enantioselective Iodoetherification of Oximes” Tripathi, S. Mukherjee, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2013, 52, 8450-8453.
- “Catalytic Enantioselective Construction of Quaternary Stereocenters by Direct Vinylogous Michael Addition of Deconjugated Butenolides to Nitroolefins” S. Manna, V. Kumar, S. Mukherjee, Chem. Commun. 2012, 48, 5193-5195.
- “Lewis Base Catalysis by Thiourea: N-Bromosuccinimide-Mediated Oxidation of Alcohols” B. Tripathi, S. Mukherjee, J. Org. Chem. 2012, 77, 1592-1598.