S.S. Bhatnagar award, F.A.Sc., F.N.A.
Tel: +91-80-2293-2690, 2360-1968
Academic and Professional Career
- Currently Professor at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of California, Berkeley, 1986-87, with Prof. Paul A. Bartlett
- Ph.D., Columbia University, New York, 1986, with Prof. Ronald Breslow
- M.Sc., IIT Kanpur, 1981
Awards, Honors and Professional memberships
Dr. Darshan Ranganathan Memorial Lecture, CRSI, IIT Kanpur, 2019; Acharya P.C. Ray Memorial Lecture, NIIST, Thiruvananthapuram, 2018; Bawa Kartar Singh memorial Lecture, Panjab University, 2017; Alumni Award for Excellence in Research, IISc Bangalore, 2017; National Best Chemistry Teacher Award, JNCASR, 2015; Silver Medal, Chemical Research Society of India, 2012; Materials Research Society of India Medal, 2009; Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy, 2009; J.C. Bose National Fellowship, 2008; A.V. Rama Rao Foundation Prize Lecture, JNCASR, 2007; CDRI Drug Research Award, 2006; Prof. T. Navaneeth Rao National Best Chemistry Teacher Award, 2005; S.S. Bhatnagar Prize in Chemical Sciences, 2001; Bronze medal, Chemical Research Society of India, 2000; Millennium medal (Indian Science Congress Association), 2000; Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences, 1998; Young Associate, Indian Academy of Sciences, 1989-1992
- Member, International Advisory Board, Chem. Soc. Rev.
- Editorial Board Member, Asian J. Org. Chem.
- Member, American Chemical Society, Royal Society of Chemistry
- National Representative, IUPAC Committee on Chemical Education
- Photoluminescent metallogels
- Paper based sensing of biomolecules
- Chemistry of Bile acids
- Soft hybrid materials
My group explores new chemistry and supramolecular chemistry using bile acids. These studies include the design of molecular receptors; design and properties of cationic, neutral and anionic analogues of bile acids. We also have a programme on the design of functional soft materials such as composite organic-inorganic hybrid materials. Recent work in this area has been in the development of luminescent hydrogels, and a novel ‘pro-sensitizer’ based sensing of enzymes, small molecules and selected drugs on a paper-based platform.
- “Supramolecular Gelation of Europium and Calcium Cholates through the Nucleation-Elongation Growth Mechanism”, Raju Laishram, Uday Maitra, ChemPlusChem, 2019, 84, 853.
- “Nanofiber‐Directed Anisotropic Self‐Assembly of CdSe–CdS Quantum Rods for Linearly Polarized Light Emission Evidenced by Quantum Rod Orientation Microscopy”, Arkajyoti Chakrabarty, Guillaume Raffy, Mitasree Maity, Leire Gartzia‐Rivero, Samuel Marre, Cyril Aymonier, Uday Maitra, André Del Guerzo, Small, 2018, 1802311.
- “Eu/Tb luminescence for alkaline phosphatase and β-galactosidase assay in hydrogels and on paper devices”, Tumpa Gorai, Uday Maitra, J. Mater. Chem. B 2018, 6, 2143-2150.
- “In-situ formation of luminescent CdSe QDs in a metallohydrogel: a practical strategy towards synthesis, isolation, storage and re-dispersion of the QDs”, Sayantan Chatterjee, Uday Maitra, Nanoscale, 2017, 9, 13820-13827.
- “Luminescence resonance energy transfer in a multiple component, self-assembled supramolecular hydrogel”, Tumpa Gorai, Uday Maitra, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2017, 56, 10730-10734.
- “Rapid sensing of specific drugs below ppb level by a hybrid organic-inorganic photoluminescent soft material”, Raju Laishram and Uday Maitra, Asian J. Org. Chem. 2017, 6, 1235-1239.
- “Supramolecular Approach to Enzyme Sensing on Paper Discs Using Lanthanide Photoluminescence”, Tumpa Gorai and Uday Maitra, ACS Sens., 2016, 1, pp 934–940.
- “White light emitting soft materials from off-the-shelf ingredients”, Raju Laishram, Sandip Bhowmik, Uday Maitra, J. Mater. Chem. C, 2015, 3, 5885-5889.
- “An Easily Prepared Palladium-Hydrogel Nanocomposite Catalyst for C-C Coupling Reactions”, Mitasree Maity, Uday Maitra, J. Mater. Chem. A, 2014, 2, 18952-18958.